THROUGH THE CENTURIES
HISTORY OF CONCORDIA COLLEGE
During the Japanese Occupation the Japanese occupied one half of the school building and made it a storage of war ammunitions, so that in February 1945 Concordia was the target of bombings that resulted into the demolition of the entire building causing many casualties among hundreds of inmates, including the death of several Sisters. After the Liberation, on May 15, 1945, the Jesuits of La Ignaciana and the Philippine Civilian Affairs Unit lead by Capt. Charles Osborne helped Concordia rise from its ruins.
On. September 23, 1998, Concordia College had the privilege and distinction of having been awarded a Centennial Marker by the National Historical Institute to underscore the significant connection of our great national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal with Concordia College, the “illustrious cradle of formation” of his three sisters, Olympia, Saturnina, and Soledad, and two of his women friends, Segunda Katigbak and Leonor Rivera. Hence, a Centennial presentation of TANGING IKAW in prose, music and dance that depicted the candor of Rizal's undying love for Leonor, Concordia's Centenial tribute to Dr. Jose Rizal, the man, the poet, the friend, and lover.
To date, true to the Vision – Mission of the school's founder Doña Margarita Roxas de Ayala continued to Concordia College, through the Daughters of Charity render charible services to the poor and the regular students for their spiritual, cultural and educational growth.
Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepcion de la Concordia, known as Concordia College, was founded by a generous and a wealthy matron, Doña Margarita Roxas de Ayala. Gifted with a vision to provide a Catholic education for the poor and deserving young girls, she converted her three-and-a-half-hectare villa, the La Concordia Estate in Paco, Manila, into a school.
Attracted by the dedication and devotion of the HIjas de la Caridad, popularly known today as Daughters of Charity, who taught and care for the poor, the generous matron did not hesitate to request for eight Daughters of Charity from Spain. She arranged for the Sister's travel expenses so that they could come over to the Philippines and manage the school.
On May 3, 1868 the first eight Sisters arrived and managed the operation of the school; the school was a free school. Escuela Pia. With a small enrollment of sixty students, the curriculum emphasized religion, good manners, reading and writing, simple arithmetic, culture and arts like sewing, embroidery, cooking, needlecraft and household work. The medium of instructor was Spanish.
With the Daughters of Charity at the helm, Concordia College continue to prosper with an upward enrollment toward the end of the nineteenth century. Among its well known students were Saturnina, Soledad, and Olympia sisters of our National Hero, Jose Rizal and his two loves- Segunda Katigbak and Leonor Rivera- the letter immortalized in his novelas as Maria Clara
However, Significant periods in the development of the Concordia College, such as the Philippine Revolution of 1896 and the American era, to name a few, brought about education reforms as can be seen in the following historical dates.
The significant dates in the history of the college includes
1868 Birth of Concordia College
1894 Concordia College become a normal school authorized to grant the title “Maestra”
1902 Introduction of English in the curriculum
1911 Government recognition of the Elementary Department
1930 Permission was granted to offer the first two years of General secondary, Home economics and secondary standard Commercial Courses;
1934 The first batch of Secondary Home Economics and Secondary Standard Commercial students graduated;
1936 Establishment of the Concordia College Development Center;
1938 First graduation for those who earned the Elementary Teacher's
1940 College opened an additional course, Associate in Commercial Science;
1941 Outbreak of the World War II; classes were interrupted;
1942 Japanese government granted permission for the school to operate the Elementary and High School Department;
1943 Concordia College housed 600 civilians, the refugees and inmates from Hospicio de San Jose;
1944 Closing of all schools in Manila;
The Japanese Forces who were alerted by the entrance of the American Liberation Forces in Paco; the College was razed to the ground.
June : Reconstruction started in the same year with Captain Charles of the Philippines Civilian Unit No. 27 providing human power and material assistance;
Classes were held make shift rooms;
1947 Government recognition of the Elementary and Secondary
Teacher's Course in Piano, Conduction and Composition
1949 Government recognition of the four year course in Piano, two year course in Voice, in Violin and Associate in Music and one-year course in Collegiate Secretarial;
1953 Government recognition of the four ear course of Bachelor of Science in Education
1958 Government recognition of the four years course of Bachelor of Science in Commerce;
1959 The nursing Supplemental course was offered;
1961 Government recognition of two years Collegiate Secretarial Course, Major in Business and Medical Secretarial;
Construction of college auditorium;
Construction of the primary school building;
1962 Government recognition of the four Bachelor of science in Elementary Education
The College started two additional programs Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Bachelor of Science in Social Work;
Visit the most Honored Father William Slattery C.M. Superior General of the Congregation of the Mission and the Daughter of Charity;
1963 Installation of Sister Filomena Zulueta, D.C. the first Filipino Visitatrix of the D.C. Philippine Province
1966 Visit of Sister Mary Basil Roarke, D.C. Assistant Mother General and Councilor General for English speaking provinces
1968- Golden years for the Nursing Department for eleven (11)
1978 Consecutive years, 100% of BSN graduates passed the board Examination, two graduates were topnotchers for two consecutive years ( 1 st placers ) and several ranked among the top ten;
1967 Centennial celebration of the Foundation of the College;
Government recognition of the five year Bachelor of Science in Nursing
1968 Recognition of the Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology; phased-out in 1977
1969 Transfer of the DC Provincialate to Parañaque. As a result of the vacated space the increased number of enrollment was accommodated;
1970 Opening of the Graduate School of the Nursing;
1971 Government recognition of the Graduate School of the Nursing;
1973 Government recognition of the four year Bachelor of Science in Social Work;
1976 Government recognition of the two-year Home Management Course
1978 Launching of the DC-Catholic School System Development Program for Concordia College and other 23 DC Schools;
1980 Implementation of Basic Education Department;
1983 Construction of the College Gym and wide Parking area;
1985 Concordia College Higher Education Department became co-educational;
1986 Concordia College Develop Center celebrated its Golden Jubilee;
1987 Visit the Most Honored Mother Anne Duzan, D.C. Superioress General of the Daughter of Charity
1989 Visit of Sister Julia Denton, D. C. Councilor General for English speaking DC provinces;
First formal PAASCU Survey of the grade School Department took place;
Construction of an additional one-survey building for the Mother Seton Dormitory; landscaping of St. Joseph Park and adding the second floor dining in the canteen;
1990 First PAASCU Survey of the High School Department;
Completion of a three-story College building named after St. Louise de Marillac;
One hundred percent passing of Social Work graduates in the Board exam for two consecutive years;
1991 The four year course Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA) replaced the course Bachelor of Science in Commerce – major in Accounting (BSC-Accounting);
1992 First PAASCU Re-survey of the Grade School Department. This granted the department level II accreditation status;
1993 Concordia College Celebrated its 125 th years of active missionary presence and service in the Philippines;
1994 Permit was granted to operate the first and second levels of Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Administration, major in Computer Secretarial Administration (Laderized);
1995 Offering of Computer Program for the Handicapped;
Pearl Anniversary of the Independence of the Daughter of Charity Philippines province from Spain;
1996 The Birth of the Marillac Alternative College, trimestral evening class, with 40 students as the initial enrollees at reduced tuition fees;
1997 The Higher Education Department passed the PAASCU Preliminary Survey with the provision after 6 months to one year the College could apply for Formal Survey;
The Lower Basic Education Department passed the PAASCU Re-accreditation;
Tie-up with NET CURRICULA INC., for four years in the used of Internet as an aid for class instruction for Grade 2 to College level;
The use of three (3) Computer Internet Laboratories effective School Year 1997-1998;
1998 The Higher Education Department passed the PAASCU Formal Survey and was granted a period of three years accredited status Level 1;
Opening of Dual Training System (DTS) in Concordia College with recognition from TESDA – a two-year (6 Trimesters) program leading to Business Office and Technology (BOT Laderized);
1999 Inauguration of the DTS Simulation Office (Virtual Office) and the granting of TESDA “Kabalikat” Award to Concordia College DTS;
2000 First DTS graduation was held on the Concordia College Chapel;
2001 The Liberal Arts-Education and Nursing Department went through their first Re-survey by the PAASCU accrediting team. They were granted Level II accredited status for five years;
2003 October 27: Concordia College was granted Deregulated Status by the Commission on Higher Education;
Another permit granted by CHED to Concordia College was offering of Master of Arts in Education, major in Education Technology and Business Administration;
2004 Renovation of the Higher Education Faculty Room and Basic Education Faculty Room
2005 Construction of the native Nursing Arts Laboratory (Bahay Kubo) which serves as a simulated Community Health Center and the Construction of the Nursing Arts Laboratories I and II which serves as simulated private emergency rooms. Part of the Sisters Dormitory was converted into class rooms, typing room , testing room, audio visual room and prayer room;
100% of the 2005 Education graduates of Concordia College passed the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET).
100% of the 2005 Social Work graduates of Concordia College passed the Social Work Board Examination
Start of the implementation of the circular Organigram as the model of the organization set up of the institution wit emphasis on Servant Leadership.
Since the birth in 1868, Concordia College has remained steadfast in being voice and arm of the Catholic Church. It will continue to address life with the Vincentian Vision and Mission, Core Values and trusts inculcate in the student, personnel, parents, alumni , as it moves with the latest technology and shifts in paradigms in the third millennium.